Sunday, September 6, 2015

A different thermodynamic theory of money

Someone linked to my blog at reddit, and someone else in response linked to an interesting take by John Bryant [pdf] on using the ideal gas equation of state as the quantity theory of money. Bryant's equation is (brackets in the original):

P V = [N k] T

Where P is the GDP deflator, V is the output volume (which I think is RGDP = Y), N is the money stock (he uses M4) and T is velocity (it'd be velocity of M4; he calls it the index of trading value). That is to say, he exactly reproduces the quantity theory of money equation of exchange:

P Y = M V

since M is M4 and V is the velocity of M4: V = PY/M. Bryant then uses various thermodynamic relationships to look at changes in P, V, N and T.

This is actually quite different from the equation I derive:

P = k M^(k - 1)

Where the relationship between money and the price level is analogous to an isentropic (adiabatic) expansion log P - γ log V = constant. The analog of the ideal gas equation of state would be [1]

P M = k N

or in terms of the symbols of the equation of exchange

P M = k P Y

Or in terms of Bryant's symbols:

P [N k] = P V T 

Bryant later gets a changing elastic index (adiabatic index, related to the information transfer index), but as yet, I haven't fully digested it.

Overall, it is a different take, but may include some interesting insights.


[1] If you want to make this look more like the equation of exchange, you would write it as:

P M = k N
P N^(1/k) = k M^k-1 M
N^(1/k) = M
(PY)^(1/k) = M

I've set a bunch of constants equal to 1 in the entire above presentation.


  1. That's majromax (not majormax, as you might think) who left the link. He leaves a lot of comments at Nick Rowe's blog, and sometimes other places as well.


Comments are welcome. Please see the Moderation and comment policy.

Also, try to avoid the use of dollar signs as they interfere with my setup of mathjax. I left it set up that way because I think this is funny for an economics blog. You can use € or £ instead.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.